The subconscious

I am currently reading a book that is highly intriguing. One thing that's making me rummage is a discussion on the subconscious and how it helps us make decisions. Technically also how there is no free will. I was thinking about this in conjunction with a conversation I will be having with my best friend lateron. My "instinct" (was it really by subconscious?) has always helped me make decisions and I know I can trust them. Since the diagnosis I have realised a lot of things and now thinking about the subconscious and my disorder in conjunction I realise how much my subconscious has helped me make decisions to help me manage my autism. One quite distinct thought that has come to mind that from the moment I had met this best friend, Mü, I have felt very comfortable with her and whenever I come to Germany I visit most people for a couple of days (I have a few best/closest friends). With her I have always wanted to stay longer than a couple of days, maybe a week or even longer. And the same with my other best friend, Mine. I realise now that even though I never knew about my autism I have always been able to be myself around them and not needed to put on a show. I understand that for NT's everybody puts on a show every now and then - imagine now that I have to put on a show for every single person in my life, every situation, every sentence I speak - mainly because behaviour is too confusing for me and it is easier to mimic or adapt "acting roles" in other peoples presence to avoid getting confused or even worse, accidentally insulted (or accidentally insulting somebody else!). I have always had this drive or strong sense to stay at their places for longer than just the usual couple of days, so whenever I set something up with them we planned in for me to stay for quite a while or with an open end. What appeared to be free will/decision making I genuinely think it was my subconscious helping me make this decision or driving me into the decision, like a subtle nudge (or maybe even the whole decision) to do what's right for me or makes me feel good.
Now, the theory that I read is that there is no free will and that your un/sub/conscious makes all decisions for you. I quite agree on this, also because sometimes the subconscious (I do genuinely think that we basically consist of only memories and that is all our decision making - on another note or maybe in a mother post I will probably address the theory of us not actually having a future but our conscious/memories determining our future, i.e. that a future does not actually exist but is just a huge stream of pattern recognition and hypothetical scenario analysis... AGH do not get distracted, fifi... I will explore this later!). Either way, it appears that the subconscious. Ok fuck now I have completely lost my thought. rip.
Alright. The theory that was put up was that there is no free will and that our unconscious also controls our decision making, it was supported with studies and sample scenarios. Yeah okay I'm giving up now. Just noted this down though because I wanted to keep this for later. Ciao!

Comments